Mount Royal Plum Tree Overview
The Mount Royal plum tree is a very productive, cold-hardy tree (zone 4) that bears delicious round fruit. In fact these qualities are what make it unique since most European plums are elliptical and hardy to zone 5. Even though its origins are from France, french settlers in the fur trade brought the seed/tree with them to Montreal where it was established (no wonder it is cold hardy). Moreover, the skin of the fruit is a beautiful blue/violet color and its blooms are white. The fruit is firm, sweet, and juicy with a yellow/green flesh. Mount Royal plum tree is self-pollinating, which means it can produce fruit without the help of other trees. In fact it is so prolific, that you don’t even need to plant another European plum variety close by.
Just like any other plum tree, the Mount Royal plum tree grows best in full sun with well-drained soil. Additionally, it grows well in hardiness zones 4 to 8. If you would like more information on how to plant and grow this tree, see our guide.
- Uses: Eating fresh, drying, canning, baking, jelly
- Taste/texture: Sweet, delicious and firm
- Size: Small-medium fruit, round
- Tree height: If you grow it on standard rootstock (Myrobalan or Myrobalan 29C), these trees will reach about 16-20’ at maturity but can also be a shorter height based on how you prune. If you grow it on semi-dwarf rootstock, such as Krymsk 1, then the tree will be around 6-10’ at maturity. Additionally, the fruit will bear around 2-3 years instead of the more usual 3-5 years.
- Color: Blue/purple fruit with yellow/green flesh and white blooms.
- Type: European
- Hardiness Zones: 4 – 8
- Harvest period: Ripens in late September (in upstate NY).
- Pollination: Mount Royal plum tree is self-pollinating, which means it can produce fruit without the help of other trees. In fact it is so prolific, that you don’t even need to plant another European plum variety closeby in order to increase the quality.
- Cultivation: This plum tree grows best in full sun with loamy well drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0. Additionally it is very productive.