Rich May Peach Tree Overview
The Rich May peach tree is one of the most delicious early season varieties. This yellow-fleshed clingstone peach bears delicious, large, and very firm fruit. Zaiger Genetics in Modesto, California developed this tree. We grow this peach tree on Lovell rootstock, one of the regular peach tree rootstocks. If you would like more information on how to plant and grow this tree, see our guide.
As with other peach trees, you will need to water the Rich May peach tree once a week during its first year and during the fruiting season. If there is drought, you can water more frequently. This tree needs moist but well-draining soil. In order to retain the moisture, you can place mulch around the tree. Additionally, be sure to clear the weeds next to the tree since this will decrease the competition for nutrients. You can harvest when the flesh gives slightly and the peach pulls away from the tree easily.
- Uses: Eating fresh and cooking
- Taste: Sweet and very firm
- Size: Medium
- Color: Deep red over yellow with a yellow flesh
- Type: Clingstone
- Hardiness Zones: 5-9
- Harvest period: Early season
- Pollination: Self-Pollinating
- Cultivation: This peach tree grows best in full sun with loamy well drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0. It is vigorous and productive.