John Boy® Peach Tree Overview
The John Boy® peach tree is a favorite freestone peach variety if you want a delicious mid-season peach. Not only is the fruit large and delicious, but it also has good resistance to bacterial leaf spot. Moreover it matures 10-14 days before Loring. In 1981, Ed Clendening’s son, John, noticed that a branch on a Loring peach tree had ripened earlier than the other green peaches and so created our John Boy® variety from this branch. We grow this peach tree on Lovell rootstock, one of the regular peach tree rootstocks. If you would like more information on how to plant and grow this tree, see our guide.
- Uses: Eating fresh and cooking
- Taste: Sweet and firm, juicy texture
- Size: Large
- Color: Pink
- Type: Freestone
- Hardiness Zones: 5-8
- Harvest period: mid-season
- Pollination: Self-Pollinating
- Cultivation: This peach tree grows best in full sun with loamy well drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0. It is vigorous and productive.