Jade Nectarine Tree Overview
The Jade nectarine tree is a white-fleshed freestone nectarine variety known for its disease resistance, vigor, and high fruit productivity. In fact these trees produce very succulent, sweet, medium-sized, mildly acidic nectarines. Additionally, Jade is an early season variety that will ripen in July. When they bloom in the spring, they will produce beautiful pink flowers. Moreover, they are vigorous, very productive, and resistant to bacterial spot especially you grow them in humid areas. If you are looking for a tree that is easy to grow, then this is also the tree for you since they are self-fertile, disease resistant, and highly adaptable! Even though they are self-fertile, planting more than one tree close to one another, increases the fruit quality. If you would like more information on how to plant and grow this tree, see our guide.
Want to know what is the difference between a nectarine and a peach tree? In fact, there is not much of a difference! The only difference is an active recessive gene which makes the nectarines grow without the fuzzy coating. In addition to the lack of fuzz, nectarine trees are also more small and delicate than peaches and can be bruised more easily.
This natural mutation took place in China over 2,000 years ago. Afterwards, the nectarine trees spread from western Asia, to Persia, to Greece and Rome. They finally arrived in Europe and England in the 16th century. Their name comes from “nectar,” meaning “food of the gods.”
- Uses: Eating fresh, cooking, canning
- Taste: Sweet, succulent flesh, firm, moderately acidic
- Size: Medium
- Color: Bright yellow fruit with a often a full red blush, white-fleshed
- Type: Freestone
- Hardiness Zones: 5-9
- Harvest period: Early season, July
- Pollination: While nectarines are self-fertile, which means they can pollinate and bear fruit without the help of other trees, we recommend growing this variety with other nectarine varieties.
- Cultivation: Nectarine trees are high adaptable and prefer full sun as well as fertile well-drained soil. Additionally, these trees are very vigorous, productivity and resistant to bacterial spot.