Sugar Pearls® Apricot Tree Overview
The Sugar Pearls® apricot tree originated from the NJ Apricot Breeding Program in 2005. It is a late-blooming variety and can resist fluctuating midwinter temperatures and most diseases. The growth habit is very spreading and irregular. It has moderate vigor. The yield will benefit from cross-pollination with another later-blooming apricot tree variety (e.g., Honey Pearls Nectacot, Harlayne, Hargrand, Jerseycot). The fruits average around 1-3/4” in diameter. The color is pale yellow with an orange blush. The flesh is very sweet and low in acidity. The Sugar Pearls® apricot is an excellent apricot variety to enjoy both fresh and dried.
- Uses: Eating fresh and dried
- Taste: Sweet, low acidity, firm, juicy texture
- Fruit Size: 1-3/4″
- Size at Maturity: 10 -12 ft
- Color: Creamy white with a red blush
- Hardiness Zones: 4-7
- Harvest period: Ripens late June to early July
- Pollination: Self-Pollinating
- Cultivation: Grows best in full sun. Plant 8-12 feet a part.