Nova Spy Apple Tree Overview
The Nova Spy apple tree is the result of an experiment to make Northern Spy apple variety more disease resistant! Breeders developed this delicious apple variety at the Agricultural Research Station in Nova Scotia, Canada as a cross between Nova Easygro and New York 44411-1 (Northern Spy and Golden Delicious). They then released it to apple lovers in 1986.
The Nova Spy apple tree bears medium-large sized fruit with a lovely dark red color. It’s an excellent choice for eating fresh since you will love the crisp and juice taste as well as its mild tartness. Additionally, Nova Spy is a good ingredient for making delicious pies. Due to its tartness it’s also been the apple of choice to add to apple cider.
Nova Spy apple trees are moderately vigorous and upright spreading hardy trees. You will start to see fruit within three years of growth. This apple tree variety bears fruit every year, however, it’s doesn’t bear heavy crops. Nova Spy keeps well in storage for up to 16 weeks and is resistant to common apple diseases like scab and mildew.
- Uses: eating fresh, pie, used to make cider due to its tartness
- Taste: tart, crisp, juicy, sweet
- Size: medium to large sized
- Color: green yellow in fruit color with dark red blushes and some russetting, creamy to yellow flesh color
- Hardiness Zones: 4 – 8
- Disease resistance:
- Scab – resistant
- Mildew– resistant
- Fireblight – resistant
- Rust – susceptible
- Harvest period: 5, late season (early to mid October)
- Flowering Group: 3
- Cross pollinates with: Enterprise, Galarina™, Goldrush, Honeycrisp, Macoun, Melrose, Newtown Pippin, Northern Spy, to name a few.
- Cultivation: This apple tree is a moderately vigorous, upright spreading tree. Additionally it is a partial tip bearer. Although this tree bears fruit annually, it does not always have heavy crops. It can start to bear fruit within three years.
- Storage: Keeps well in storage for four months (16 weeks).
- Ease of care: easy
There are no reviews yet.